25th May 2016
Confidential Shredding; safely destroying data
Confidential Shredding will benefit businesses who produce waste which includes commercially sensitive material or personal information; from contracts, to pay roll details, invoices, employees’ addresses or medical records. It’s not just paper either – hard drives, digital media and product prototypes can also be shredded.
As part of the Data Protection Act all businesses have a legal responsibility to safely destroy information that could be used to identify an individual as well as all confidential waste. Companies or individuals that ignore their legal obligation to securely destroy materials risk criminal prosecution, large fines and reputational damage.
The key points are:
- The Data Protection Act outlines how information should be stored, used and disposed of
- If confidential information is wrongfully accessed, processed or published the loss of trust and a company’s credibility can be seriously damaging
- High fines of up to £500,000 are imposed for data breaches
There are several benefits of outsourcing shredding; it is more efficient, saves time, is legally compliant and the shredded material is taken away to be reprocessed and recycled.
What should be shredded?
The following types of materials commonly contain confidential details and should be shredded:
- Business documents; contracts, legal files, customer details
- Financial records; invoices, budget reports, statements, audits
- Product information; specifications, evaluations, test results
- Employee details; payslips, bank details, home address, appraisals
- Personal data; medical records, criminal case files, date of birth, email address
How does the Confidential Shredding service work?
SWR’s Confidential Shredding Service is a simple solution to safely and securely manage your business’ confidential waste. Materials can be shredded on-site or off-site. Secure bins or bags are supplied for regular collections; alternatively, a one-off collection of bagged, boxed or palletised material can be arranged. After each collection a Waste Transfer Note is provided followed by a Certificate of Destruction once the material is destroyed in accordance with European Standard EN15713.
On-site shredding is a fast and efficient process which uses mobile shredding machines capable of destroying over 2000KG an hour. It means you can see documents being destroyed and avoids wasting time removing paperclips or staples – we handle it all!
Off-site shredding includes collection of confidential waste and destruction at a secure facility. Materials are collected and transported by a satellite tracked, unmarked vehicle to the secure shredding facility where it is instantly processed.
Why choose SWR’s Confidential Shredding Service?
- Expert advice on dealing with your business’ shredding
- Safely store, manage and recycle confidential waste
- Scheduled and Ad-hoc, On and Off site service options
- Legal compliance
- Nationwide coverage
- Backed by SWR’s Customer Service
- Work with one provider to simplify your waste management
- No hidden fees
Talk to the team about a Confidential Shredding service – 0800 038 0300